Search This Blog

September 1, 2024

Hello Bill,  I just saw on my other computer that you received the photo from Kathy Lowe. She took several and that was the one we chose; our good friend, the chief Warden Lynne, Was watching and she kept us both laughing.  Hopefully It is O K for your purpose.

I’ve had to switch to my old IPad, the other  one has to be recharged. Going back to my War time sojourn in the Convent @ Westward Ho in North Devon. During the Autumn term all 50 boarding girls had serious cases of Flu. The Easter term we all had Measles and were kept in our small dark rooms for a Whole week.

We lived in a large mansion owned by the Duchess of Manchester, who was obviously A Roman Catholic, with a beautiful smallish Chapel.  From there we were bussed Each school day to the main RC school in Barnstable (?) The only thing I remember From there was having the famous Polish pianist , who escaped from the Nazis, and he played for us all 100 girls. He also was to play some music from a special book.  As I sat near the front, being short for my age (!) he asked if I could read Music , I think I nodded “yes”, so I turned pages for him. Afterwards I remember This tall man with an unknown accent giving me a small hug!

The Summer term I was the only girl out of all the other 100 to come down with Whooping Cough.  I was quickly ensconced away from everyone else  to a very Large bedroom with all lovely antique furniture and carpet. A few days later an elderly lady came in and asked if I would like her to read to me. She came every Day for a long time. She suggested that I call her “Aunty May”. Once feeling well enough I was allowed to go down the enormous staircase to go outside  into The sunshine.  Aunty May took me through  the most beautiful gardens, one which had high brick walls all around. Inside were hundreds of different kinds and colours of Roses, the perfume from them all is something that I have never forgotten. She would often bring me a rose in a beautiful small glass vase before I was able To go outside.

Finally I was allowed to go home. A long train journey accompanied by two Nuns, Who never spoke one word to me. We finally arrived at Salisbury station, I looked Out of the window and there was “ Mummy” waiting for me. I had no idea that was Why I was on the train. The Nuns spoke to her for two seconds and disappeared!

We had to catch a bus to get home to Ringwood over an hours drive; I coughed All the way home and also for another two months; I-missed my own school for part of The Autumn term.  Much later I was told that Aunty May was the Duchess and She kept in touch with Mummy for quite a while.

Condense this however you like, but I thought some of it might be of interest, Especially Wartime. Mummy and I spent part of each school holidays  for the rest Of the war staying wherever Daddy was stationed. The last 3 years was at “Upwood” Near Ramsey, a Lancaster and  Mosquitoe Station.  Another long story!!

I presume you had a great time yesterday.  Sorry about my messed up time, By late afternoon I felt better, I slept solidly 10 hours overnight and thankfully able to participate in today’s special meeting as to how we can save  our old St. George’s Church, the building was finished in 1901, there was an earlier Wooden Church.  We have to keep fundraising etc:

Enjoy our last of Summer, keep tricycling well!

Suzanne
Sent from my iPad

Thanks, Suzanne!  More capital for the stores! You tell a great history!

 
Bill
 
 
 
image3.jpeg

Hello Mr Chapman

Suzanne asked me to send this to you. She also wanted me to tell you that she had whooping cough while she was at the convent school during the war. She said she would send you an email with more information.

Regards
Kathy Lowe

Dear Ms. Lowe:

Thank-you for assisting Suzanne and me in this little enterprise, greatly appreciated!
 
If by chance I may assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to let me know.
 
Cheers!
 

Bill (Chapman)

No comments: