Search This Blog

September 21, 2024

A beautiful photo of the late summer afternoon by the river.

The "What Now" has occurred to me on several occasions; at 16, having just finished school it suddenly came to me as summer was almost over, it suddenly hit me "W. N."! I knew that I did not wish to stay at home and help "cook and clean house, or help my Father in the smallish Hampstead Heath, London garden. I realized that was what was expected of me. Ballet dancing was completely out of the question after injuring my spine.  In those years it was typical for a young girl to learn to type which I tried for two weeks, absolutely hated it and quit, also each day I came home with a dreadful back pain.

We were invited for dinner a few days later with good friends , our Doctor and his wife; during the conversation I was asked "how is the typing"?  I remember "Mummy" looking at me, then saying in an annoyed voice "She Quit".  "Uncle" John quietly took me aside, asked a few questions and said "You gave exactly the correct answer, Sue."  Before dinner was announced he told my Parents the real problem was my spine.  I think my Mother was somewhat "Mollified"!!  (Ed's Note: Mother's first name is Mollie)

A few years later the same question returned, I thought I made the right decision, probably not!

The last time "What now" occured to me (was) in early 1983, I was married with two children, living in a small town in a rented house.  The owner of same phoned to say that he and family would be returning to Canada within 6 months, naturally they needed their own home.  I searched and asked many realtors, no luck.  One pouring wet afternoon I was on my way to visit my Mother when suddenly I noticed a For Sale Sign. The rest is history.

Do you remember the sale of 239 Country St?  Without your qualified experience I would not have been able to buy that 1980's house or have it professionally updated. 

I can honestly say living there for almost 15 years turned our lives around, it was a great advantage to my two sons, also over those years for myself. 

Enough said. Must away to more sewing. Then Early to bed, Sunday mornings I now leave home @ 7:30 am, up to Clayton to open St. George's Church for Service @ 9.am.

Thank you Bill,  Take care.

Suzanne

No comments: