Search This Blog

September 28, 2024

Yes Bill, All from a male attitude !

For me it began at a very young age with tiny fingers to help polish all the silverware each week. Living in a usually damp climate, with coal fires, cigar and pipe smoke, cooking fumes and always partially open windows; it was unacceptable to allow a silver teapot and kettle to turn brown in a few short days.

From then onwards I always needed to keep my fingers busy! Learning to crochet, knit, sew and paint with watercolours.  As my hands began to grow i needed to play piano, then in warm weather I learned to grow food and flowers in the garden. Then standing on a stool I learned to cook, firstly to make pastry, biscuit mixtures and later, stirring cake mixtures. I even had my own small iron which was made hot by putting it on a hot floor tile in front of the fire, then with my little ironing board to iron all small cotton handkerchiefs. Yesterday I found my iron in a box, which now sits in view in my bedroom. It seems a pity that children are not taught many of these useful items today.

Then WW2 was declared and almost everything I learned before I attended school became an absolute necessity, most of which I have expanded over time to enjoy and never forget. 

One last quip!  I taught both my 2 sons how to sew on buttons and a couple of other things which were in the box with my little iron.  Throw them out... NOT Yet!!!

Maybe: Silly Me!!

Suzanne

No comments: